Ayla Insights 2.0 is an upgrade to Ayla’s value-added IoT platform service that delivers accessible, affordable IoT data analytics and business intelligence to manufacturers of connected products. Insights 2.0 adds features that make it easier to track and analyze the distribution and usage of IoT products throughout their complete lifecycle.
“Insights 2.0 supports the next logical stage of our manufacturer customers’ IoT business journey: replacing guesswork with accurate data about IoT product usage in the real world,” said David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks. “By providing more detailed and flexible filtering, reporting and analysis features, Insights 2.0 helps manufacturers make the evidence-based decisions that can improve their connected-product development and deployment.”
The Ayla Insights business intelligence and analytics platform is fully integrated into the comprehensive Ayla IoT platform, which provides the IoT technology for smart home and other connected products including major appliances, door locks, HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) equipment, water heaters and softeners, home security and smoke detection, ceiling fans, baby monitors, coffee makers, lighting and more. Manufacturers can use Ayla Insights to boost customer satisfaction and brand loyalty, improve supply chain efficiencies, generate new revenue streams and increase return on investment (ROI).
The Insights IoT data platform completes the feedback loop for manufacturers, delivering actionable IoT data that can improve all phases of the product lifecycle, including development, testing, production, and warranty and support. Manufacturers’ ability to offer tangible product and support benefits helps make consumers more likely to want to share the IoT data from their smart home and other connected products.
“Data can be used as an alternative currency in the IoT, and consumers are willing to exchange that data for support,” said Patrice Samuels, senior research analyst, Parks Associates. “Twenty-seven percent of U.S. broadband households are willing to share their smart product data to help with product warranty registration and to receive more information on the extent of their warranty coverage. In addition, 26% will share their data for product updates or improvements.”
Ayla Insights 2.0 Enhances IoT Deployment Visibility
The new features of Ayla Insights 2.0 are designed to speed and simplify manufacturers’ ability to gain a more complete picture of what happens to their connected products once they leave the manufacturers’ facilities. The new features include:
- Geographic distribution allows manufacturers to see where their connected products are distributed geographically—by country, state/province/prefecture, etc.—to track brand presence in specific regions and determine where investments might increase that presence.
- Advanced filters, drill-down and reporting capabilities—sorted and analyzed by product models, device properties, software version, date ranges and other parameters—help manufacturers understand device and usage patterns at a more granular level.
- Datapoint analysis helps manufacturers understand and analyze which properties of their connected products are used most commonly and which ones are used the least, so they can better prioritize the design of future IoT products, pinpoint opportunities for new capabilities and enhance the value of their products for end users.
- Flexible report views, bookmarks and report notification options save time and allow for greater customization in how manufacturers work with Ayla Insights.
- Transaction/API analysis reveals how often manufacturers’ IoT products are communicating with the Ayla cloud—per day, week, month or year.
- Key performance indicator (KPI) reports on connected product deployment allow manufacturers to measure the success of their IoT product strategy and to learn where to focus improvements.
Completing the Product Feedback Loop
Ayla Insights 2.0 delivers a cohesive set of analytics tools that operate throughout the product lifecycle, building on each other when used in combination. All the Insights tools feed from a single data pipeline via the Ayla cloud to provide consistency and coordination of data analytics.
For example, manufacturers can use Ayla Insights during the product development phase to get a connected product working according to the design specifications; during field trials to verify that the connected product works to spec; and during production to maintain deployment and to identify areas of improvement for future product iterations, based on real-world usage data.
In this way, Ayla Insights creates a feedback loop that allows manufacturers to iterate more quickly to improve product designs; offer diversified warranty services; and establish new revenue streams based on predictive support and maintenance, value-added features and services, or novel services delivered in conjunction with third-party providers of IoT-based services.
Ayla Insights 2.0 will be generally available late in the third quarter of 2017 as a value-added extension to the Ayla IoT platform.