Developers of Industrial IoT (IIoT) and connected embedded systems can now design in an added level of increased security while also bringing their products to market faster with the MAXQ1061 DeepCover cryptographic controller from Maxim Integrated Products.
With the increase in cyber-attacks to critical connected infrastructures, security can no longer be an afterthought in system design. In a recent survey conducted by Electronic Design of 2,200 electronic engineers, 60% of respondents said security in their products is very important, and 96% think that security will either have the same or more importance for their products (Reference 1). Designed to meet Common Criteria EAL4+ requirements, the MAXQ1061 empowers engineers to quickly design security into their products and protect the endpoints of a network.
The MAXQ1061 integrates a comprehensive cryptographic toolbox that provides full support for a wide spectrum of security needs, ranging from key generation and storage, to digital signature and encryption up to SSL/TLS/DTLS. It can also support secure boot for most host processors. To withstand extreme industrial environments, the MAXQ1061 operates across the -40-degree Celsius to +109-degree Celsius temperature range—the widest compared to other similar products—and is available in TSSOP-14.
The MAXQ1061 embeds 32KB of user programmable secure EEPROM for storing certificates, public keys, private and secret keys, and arbitrary user data. The EEPROM is managed through a flexible filesystem enabling custom security policy enforcement. Its cryptographic algorithms include ECC (up to NIST P-521), ECDSA signature generation and verification, SHA-2 (up to SHA-512) secure hash, AES-128/-256 with support for ECB, CBC, and CCM modes, and MAC digest. The MAXQ1061 also provides a separate hardware AES engine over SPI, supporting AES-GCM and AES-ECB modes, and that can be used to off-load a host processor for fast stream encryption.
- Full security: Includes TLS/SSL host stack and comprehensive software support, as well as certificates distribution and management; easy to design strong protection into systems
- Turnkey: No firmware development required; speeds time to market
- Industrial temperature: -40-degrees Celsius to +109-degrees Celsius; only cryptographic controller with this wide range
- “The MAXQ1061 provides a hardware root of trust; its comprehensive set of cryptographic functions fulfill the key security requirements of the embedded systems of tomorrow,” said Christophe Tremlet, Executive Business Manager, Embedded Security, Maxim Integrated. “With the MAXQ1061, our customers have a trusted device that will not only guarantee the integrity and authenticity of the system, but also secure communications.”
- “The MAXQ1061 provides ideal hardware security to complement our software solution for the Floodgate Defender Appliance™ allowing customers to easily secure their legacy equipment economically,” said Ernie Rudolph, Executive Vice President, Icon Labs.
Learn more at www.maximintegrated.com.