Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, recently announced the expansion of the Equinix Internet Exchange into nine new metros in the EMEA and Americas regions in Q4 2017 and early 2018, including Amsterdam, Denver, Dublin, Frankfurt, Houston, London, Manchester, Milan and Stockholm. The news comes as Equinix also announced today the next phase in the evolution of its global platform through the direct physical and virtual connection of its International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers around the world, enabling customers to connect on demand to any other customer from any Equinix location.
The Equinix Internet Exchange allows drivers of internet traffic, including ISPs and content providers, to easily and effectively peer traffic and expand operations globally. It is the world’s leading Internet Exchange provider, serving the most networks (1,100 ASNs), carrying the most traffic (7,500+ Gbps Global peak traffic), in the most locations (31 metros globally across the Americas, EMEA and APAC). Together with additional services in the Equinix portfolio, including Cross Connects and Equinix Connect, Equinix offers a comprehensive service suite that provides IP networks with the highest quality and lowest TCO options for managing and exchanging IP traffic. As Equinix expands its global footprint, it will offer this full suite of interconnection services within each metro where the company operates.
As IP traffic driven by cloud, mobile, IoT, video, gaming and data/analytics continues to grow, the need for networks to exchange traffic, or “peer,” is accelerating. Equinix is meeting this demand by expanding peering capabilities at the digital edge in proximity to dense populations of users, apps, data and content. This enables service providers and their customers to operate more efficiently, improving end-to-end network performance, speed and reliability while reducing overall IP transit costs.
- In addition to the expansions announced today, the Equinix Internet Exchange is currently offered in 11 metros in the Americas (Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, São Paulo, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Toronto, Washington, D.C.), five metros in EMEA (Geneva, Helsinki, Paris, Warsaw, Zurich) and six metros in APAC (Hong Kong, Melbourne, Osaka, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo).
- Equinix will continue to partner in key markets with other Internet Exchanges, such as AMS-IX, LINX, DE-CIX, TorIX and JPNAP, while also offering the Equinix Internet Exchange service to provide networks with a globally consistent alternative Internet Exchange platform.
- The Equinix global base of 9,500 customers is highly interconnected across multiple markets. By leveraging Equinix Internet Exchange, customers can benefit from new business potential to interconnect with customers and partners across their digital supply chain and create additional business value across vertical ecosystems.
- Mike Leber, CEO and Founder, Hurricane Electric
“As Hurricane Electric expands its reach through Europe, Asia Pacific and North America, it is essential that we partner with the world’s most-networked data center platform. The expansion of markets served by Equinix IX will only help to accelerate our business growth as we scale the 6,662 peer networks we pass traffic with to date. The density and reach of peers available on Platform Equinix coupled with the increasing growth of IP traffic from cloud, mobile and IoT are positive indications our addressable market will continue to expand.”
- Courtney Munroe, Group Vice President, Worldwide Telecommunications Research, IDC
“No other data center operator or exchange operator has more peers or traffic or is growing faster than Equinix. Its peering traffic is growing 2.3x faster than the top three public peering exchanges combined, and has the highest volume of peering traffic on a shared fabric.”
- Bill Long, Vice President, Interconnection, Equinix:
“As IP traffic growth continues to accelerate, it is more important than ever that the IP peering community has a scalable, reliable and globally consistent Internet Exchange solution in all markets where they want to peer traffic.”