CareVive Systems is a clinician-led health information technology company that builds e-clinical tools to support the oncology teams’ delivery of quality cancer care. The company provides personalized and scientifically rigorous care plans that are then delivered to cancer patients at the point of care to improve treatment outcomes.
Our team was asked to build a specialized Oncology application suited for delivering the best treatment for various types of cancer. The app’s main goal is to facilitate collaboration between MDs and patients and ensure that each individual patient benefits of a care plan personalized for their specific condition and related symptoms. The overall solution is meant to improve the clinician – patient relationship, engage patients, improve care coordination, meet quality standards, and mitigate risk of hospitalizations.
The client needed an application to collect and analyze patient-reported and clinical data and return supportive, survivorship and treatment planning care plans for oncology MDs, enabling them to operate at an improved clinician efficiency level.
We listened to the client’s needs and proposed the best solution. Initially, we started by incrementally improving their existing platform and eventually we redesigned their entire system.
• Patient-centric: Designed to support patient relationships with multiple institutions, EMRs and Care Management systems, enabling cross-system care coordination and risk management
• Rule-based: Designed to codify clinical knowledge for use in personalized care planning
• Service-oriented: Designed for real-time integration with third-party applications, as well as all other forms of systems integration, e.g. single sign-on and data exchange
• Configuration-based: Designed for localization of content and rapid deployment in a multi-tenant environment
• Consumer-driven and clinically integrated: Designed to support clinically-integrated consumer-driven healthcare
CareVive is structured on 3 levels, the Front-End app, Back-End App and the CMVC or the content management and version control. The Front-End application was built using ASP.NET MVC, Angular JS, Bootstrap and jQuery, allowing it to work on all devices – desktop, mobile or tablet.
All gathered information is placed in a Rules Engine repository before being sent to the Web API. The raw data obtained from the surveys are processed through a system of rules implemented in the form of other API, written in JAVA. This API translates the patient’s responses into a set of potential clinical problems, specific to each patient.
As the patient provides additional feedback to doctors, these rules are automatically updated in order to generate an appropriate individual treatment plan.
The system generates a Care Plan containing treatments and a nutritional plan as the results are collected and sent by the API. It generates PDF docs through ABC PDF containing follow-ups with recommendations, tasks and treatments. Through the Front-End App, PDF documents are sent both to the doctor and the patient.
The Back-End app collects data from third parties (such as medical clinics) and at the same time is capable of exporting those data to other medical clinics using formats that are industry-standard across the US medical system.
The content management and version control or the CMVC is an application used for configuring system parameters, surveys, treatment, issues, etc. This module is specifically built to improve doctor-patient communication and the patients’ relationship with their care teams.
• ASP.NET MVC
• Angular JS
• Twitter bootstrap
• Telerik Components
• MS SQL
• ORM (EF5)
• JBoss Drools
• JBoss Guvnor
• Spring MVC
JBoss Enterprise BRMS is a business rule management system and reasoning engine for development rules, with enterprise-level support.
For business rule management we use Drools Guvnor. Guvnor is a centralized repository for Drools Knowledge Bases, with rich web based GUIs, editors, and tools to aid in the management of large numbers of rules.
The rules are then exposed to the service bus via a Spring MVC-based restful API that connects to the rule based compiled via a Guvnor instance. Both Java-based systems run on Apache Tomcat using the latest Java runtime.
• Access to multiple technologies thanks to our mixed teams of specialists in different areas of expertize
• A highly scalable solution at a great value for their budget
• Access to latest-generation technologies like Drools and a wide array of complementing competences, from mobile development to databases
• A highly dedicated and focused extension of their internal development team