The GSMA will open the doors to the GSMA Innovation City at Mobile World Congress with an immersive showcase that builds on last year’s popular Connected City exhibition. Mobile World Congress visitors will experience first-hand how intelligent, mobile-connected products and services are positively impacting the personal and professional lives of billions of people, with demonstrations spanning sectors such as transport, health, home and retail, amongst many others across both developed and emerging markets.
“Mobile technology is having a transformative effect on billions of people around the world and we only see this accelerating with the widespread rollout of high-speed mobile broadband technology, growing use of smartphones and tablets and the rapid adoption of machine-to-machine technology in everything from wearables to cars,” said Michael O’Hara, Chief Marketing Officer, GSMA. “The GSMA Innovation City is packed with some incredible experiences and exhibits that demonstrate how cutting-edge mobile technology is changing our lives for the better and it should be an essential visit for everyone attending Mobile World Congress.”
The GSMA Innovation City offers a real-world city environment that includes a café, a theatre, shops, trains, connected cars and even a dental spa. Attendees will have the opportunity to experience immersive demonstrations and interactive exhibits that cater to a wide range of interests. The exhibits will be presented by GSMA partners AT&T, Jasper, KT Corporation, Oral-B, Sierra Wireless and Vodafone, demonstrating the very latest in mobile connected products and services. The GSMA will also showcase its key programmes and initiatives. At 2,130 square meters, the GSMA Innovation City is 25 per cent larger than 2014 and represents an even greater breadth of vertical industries and solution areas.
Showcasing a Range of New Experiences
GSMA partner experiences on display in the Innovation City include:
AT&T works across platforms to connect people to people, people to machines and machines to machines by connecting things – some that have never been connected before. AT&T will feature a personalised, virtual reality showcase of innovation in connected car, home, wearables and industrial Internet of Things (IoT) in the GSMA Innovation City.
- The connected car demonstrates the connected life as a reality with integrated wearables and connected home devices.
- Explore the possibilities with Digital Life’s open-standards managed platform for home automation and security.
- Visualize how AT&T is connecting and monitoring fleet and cargo for its worldwide customers, and collaborating around the globe with open platforms, cloud-based services and data analytics to drive productivity and business growth for its customers.
Jasper will let visitors experience how the IoT enables companies in any industry to transform product businesses to service businesses:
- Jasper will showcase how the delivery and management of mobile services to devices worldwide is driving new business models, economic value and first-of-their-kind experiences.
- Visitors will discover how IoT is helping all industries – from farms to factories and everything in between to quickly and easily deliver value-added services and unlock new sources of revenue.
- Jasper will demonstrate how its cloud-based platform enables companies to launch, manage and monetise IoT services on a global scale.
At the GSMA Innovation City, KT Corporation will showcase its plans for 5G technology including:
- A demonstration of the world’s first GiGA speed network implementation.
- KT will also showcase the impact of IoT technology on people’s daily lives at school, at home, out shopping or even going to vote.
Oral-B is bringing the future of oral care to participants by creating the Oral-B Experience where you can personally try the newest Oral-B power brush and app technology for yourself. The Oral-B booth will feature:
- Brushing stations that allow multiple users to test Oral-B products, under the supervision of dental professionals, in a breakthrough way.
- Technology updates to the recently launched Oral-B app with updated features and guidance systems.
- Future concepts of oral care that will further revolutionise the way people approach daily tooth brushing.
As part of the GSMA Innovation City, Sierra Wireless, along with OxBlue, Philips and Schneider Electric, will showcase innovative solutions that make cities smarter including:
- A demonstration of how to secure and monitor construction projects with high-resolution time-lapse cameras that can be accessed with any internet-connected device through secure data servers over 4G LTE networks.
- See how to improve public safety, manage energy consumption and lower maintenance costs through a public lighting system that can be remotely managed and adjusted to a city’s needs.
- Experience how to locate and book an electric vehicle charging station in advance through a smartphone application.
Together with Accenture, Huawei and Porsche, Vodafone M2M will demonstrate some of its key products and solutions and highlighting how Vodafone M2M is enabling the Internet of Things across a variety of applications:
- Smart City – Experience how remote surveillance, smart security and an integrated remote monitoring and control service are some of the tools enabling the Smart City.
- Automotive – Understand how M2M is shaping the future of the automotive industry with solutions for the connected car including demonstrations of telematics services for vehicle management, safety and security and a usage based insurance solution.
- Health – see how mHealth solutions are improving communication between patients, healthcare professionals and medical devices.
GSMA Programme Showcase
The GSMA and its partners will demonstrate solutions highlighting the impact of mobile technology through key programmes including Connected Living, Digital Commerce, Network 2020 and Personal Data, as well as Mobile for Development:
- Virtual Reality @ Innovation City – A first for Mobile World Congress, the GSMA Innovation City invites guests to enter a unique virtual reality world. Oculus Rift headsets will allow visitors to enter the mobile network, viewing it from the inside and taking in the expanding world of connected devices and services.
- Connected BMX Display – Xensr will showcase its XensrAIR realtime 3D sports technology with a BMX stunt display demonstrating how athletes can capture data via their smartphones such as biometrics, trick recognition and even POV camera action.
- Gaming Challenge – Experience a competitive computer game challenge that aims to educate attendees about simple online access delivered through GSMA Mobile Connect, with a leader board and prizes awarded for the highest scores.
- Smart Parking – See a demonstration of an operator profile SIM swap using smart parking meters that use a solution based on the GSMA Embedded SIM Specification.
- International Coupon System – Experience how tourists can travel and make purchases across the globe using just their smartphone via a one-tap, pay-and-redeem digital wallet, as well as a contactless travel card, e-ticket and couponing system.
- Bike Lock – See how NFC technology lets you rent and unlock a bicycle with your smartphone.
- Green Power – Come and experience an energy efficient, solar powered rural base station in action that extends network coverage, reduces costs and minimises the environmental impact of mobile networks.
- WIDER Disaster Response – Experience Ericsson’s ‘Wireless Internet Disaster Emergency Response’ (WIDER) unit in action. Learn how the response to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and complex emergencies can be improved by rapid-response technology.
- Enriched Calling – The GSMA’s Network 2020 programme and partners will demonstrate how Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) and Rich Communications Services (RCS) can enrich calling services in the retail and automotive industries.
- Live Stage – A central stage at the City will offer live entertainment, displays, talks and presentations through the week.
- Touch and Try – Test and try out wearables, connected sports equipment and more.
GSMA Innovation City Location
The GSMA Innovation City will again be located at Stands 3A11 and 3A31 in Hall 3, Fira Gran Via and will be open during Mobile World Congress exhibition hours from Monday 2nd March through Thursday 5th March 2015. Please note that the City will close at 16:00 on Tuesday for a private reception.
Get Involved at Mobile World Congress 2015
For more information on the 2015 Mobile World Congress including how to attend, exhibit or sponsor, visit www.mobileworldcongress.com. For more information on the GSMA Innovation City follow #gsmainnovationcity.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with more than 250 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and Internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai and the Mobile 360 Series conferences.