Designing in crypto-strong authentication to protect internet of things (IoT) device hardware, plus providing authenticity and integrity of small data transactions between the device and the cloud, is now easier and quicker with the MAXREFDES155# DeepCover® embedded security reference design from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
As more devices are connected to the internet, security becomes a critical feature to authenticate networked equipment and sensors and ensure that sensor endpoints and controls are operated securely. Using elliptic curve digital signature algorithm (ECDSA) public-key cryptography, the MAXREFDES155# reference design makes it easy to develop devices that can authenticate and manage a sensing node with control and notification from a web server or network controller. Customers can quickly collect and display the authenticated sensor data, as well as monitor endpoints being updated via secure communications with the cloud. The reference design is ideal for IoT devices being adopted in a wide range of industrial applications, from factory automation to smart agriculture.
The MAXREFDES155# platform includes an Arduino® form factor ARM mbed shield module and attached sensor endpoint. The shield contains a DS2476 DeepCover ECDSA/SHA-2 coprocessor, LCD, push-button controls, status LEDs, and Wi-Fi® communication. The sensor endpoint contains a DS28C36 DeepCover ECDSA/SHA-2 authenticator, IR thermal sensor, and aiming laser for the IR sensor. The reference design is equipped with a standard shield connector for immediate testing using an mbed board such as the MAX32600MBED#—the combination of these two devices represents an IoT node.
“Maxim is bringing decades of experience developing secure microcontrollers, coprocessors, and authenticators to our expanding portfolio of DeepCover reference designs, making it simpler for customers to implement their own security,” said Scott Jones, Executive Director, Embedded Security, Maxim Integrated. “This embedded security reference design uses ECDSA asymmetric authentication, an optimal solution to protect IoT devices.”
“The ability to protect connected devices and data paths is vital, yet building in viable endpoint security features is complex and time consuming,” said Michael Horne, Deputy General Manager and Vice President of Marketing and Sales, IoT Business, ARM. “The MAXREFDES155# board, combined with the ARM mbed IoT Device Platform with ARM Cortex®-M3 technology, provides a simplified path for designers to rapidly implement security capabilities suitable for IoT.”
- Fast Time-to-Market: Significantly reduces development time using the provided hardware and source code to implement a public-key authenticated node solution and web server interface
- Ease-of-Use: Free evaluation web server provides an immediate out-of-the box implementation for real-time interaction with the IoT device
- Efficient Crypto: Public-key based ECDSA implementation provides strong security and effective key distribution that is scalable from single to multi-node IoT deployments
Availability and Pricing
- The MAXREFDES155# IoT embedded security reference design is available for $125 at Maxim’s website and select franchised distributors.
- Programming MAXREFDES155# requires a separate purchase of a MAX32600MBED# development platform, which is available for $49 at Maxim’s website and select franchised distributors.