Butano24, a Spanish company delivering IoT devices that provide valuable data to energy and utility companies, successfully integrated Semtech’s LoRa® RF Technology in its gas level measurement application to intelligently monitor tank levels.
The Butano24 smart gas bottle sensor uses an ultrasound solution to measure the gas level without requiring any modification or invasion of the bottle. If the level is low, a request for refill can be automatically triggered. This IoT solution helps distributors analyze the buying and consumption patterns of users, leading to a more efficient gas delivery mechanism that will give users more control over their orders. The solution also provides the distribution company with increased operational cost savings by ensuring inventory is on-hand and closely tracked at the right times.
Semtech’s low-power LoRa Technology allows the solution to run on batteries for over 10 years while automating data transmission and enabling Cloud storage for real-time information and data monitoring. LoRa Technology is especially effective in sensor-based applications due to its low-power battery operation and long-distance communication capability in regional, national and global LoRaWAN networks.
“LoRa Technology is a key platform in our solution, which streamlines tank level monitoring operations,” said Antonio Martín, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of Butano24. “LoRa Technology’s long-range, low-power connectivity is ideal for logistics applications and provides us with a robust, accurate solution that our customers need.”
“With its low-power, long-range capability, LoRa Technology is optimal for the logistics and supply chain industry,” said Mike Wong, Vice President of Marketing for Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group. “We believe LoRa Technology can drive innovation in the IoT industry for both B2B and B2C markets.”
The Butano 24 Smart Sensor is planned for production during the last quarter of 2017 and can be adapted to measure other liquids, fluids, liquefied gas or combustibles in portable or fixed vessels.
Key Features of LoRa Technology:
- Long Range: A single base station using LoRa Technology enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
- Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low power and enables unprecedented battery lifetime of up to 20 years depending on the application.
- Geolocation: Enables tracking applications without GPS or additional power consumption.
- Low Cost: LoRa Technology reduces up front infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Open Standard: The LoRaWAN protocol ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.