STMicroelectronics has announced that its STM32 family of ARM® Cortex®-M based microcontrollers, together with the Company’s industry-leading sensors, connectivity, and power-management products, is being enabled for the ARM mbed(TM) IoT Device Platform with the latest public version of the ARM mbed OS. To the already powerful STM32 Open Development Environment, the mbed platform adds a standard operating system, cloud services, and development tools that are ideal for innovators creating new IoT applications.
“ARM mbed creates a secure foundation that allows developers to create and deploy IoT applications at scale more easily than ever before,” said Zach Shelby, vice president of marketing, IoT business, ARM. “The integration of the mbed OS with the STM32 family of development hardware allows developers to focus on creating the differentiation that will give their products a unique selling point. By simplifying the development process, they will also be able to move faster and reduce their products’ time-to-market.”
ST is unique in providing all of the five key dimensions for IoT applications:
- flexible computing performance delivered by the full complement of STM32 microcontrollers that range from ultra-low-power consumption to ultra-high computing performance;
- a full portfolio of sensors that provide information about movement, sound, proximity, or environment;
- the ability to connect securely with other ‘smart things’ using Bluetooth® Smart, sub-GHz low-power SPIRIT1, and other RF technologies;
- the extensive range of ST power-management products that maximize battery life or utilize new energy-harvesting technologies; and
- signal processing to bridge the gap between the analog and digital worlds.
By adding mbed to its powerful and easy-to-use design ecosystem, ST is moving to encourage new levels of abstraction, productivity, and collaboration in IoT development. The effort reinforces the Company’s position as the silicon partner of choice for Smart-Thing development for IoT innovators and makers.
“This enhanced collaboration with ARM puts ST even further ahead in offering the most complete toolkit for customers developing new Smart Things and IoT applications,” said Daniel Colonna, Microcontroller Division Marketing Director, STMicroelectronics. “The IoT is unleashing unparalleled opportunities for creative designers and ST is committed to providing the fastest and most affordable route for innovators to turn their original ideas into Smart commercial products.”